Friday, February 1, 2013

Vogue 1027 - The $5.20 dress

I know there is much debate about whether sewing your own clothes can save you money and well, I'd be lying if I said it always did. But sometimes, you sew a super cheap winner that helps bring the average cost per item down a little. This is one of them.
I picked up this fabric earlier today from Spotlight. It's a poly knit that was on the discount table for $3 per meter. I purchased 2.5 meters and with an additional discount coupon, the total fabric cost was $5.20.
I've used Vogue 1027 before, so with my accounting system, it means it has a $0 cost for this project. The thread spool was also left over from a previous project, so it too is accounted as free with my system (It actually ran out while sewing the hem, so the bobbin was changed to black to finish the project). Some actual accountants may dispute the validity of my system, choosing instead to average these expenses between projects, but not me, they were counted before, so now they are free.
It's raining right now, this is the best photo of the back I could get
I have nothing much to report with this dress. The fabric was a little tricky to work with, but I used my overlocker and walking foot to help with that. I used a mix of lightning bolt and zig-zag stitch set at .5mm wide on my regular machine. The only trouble I encounted was a slight gape in the front bodice as the fabric is so stretchy and my bust is minimal, so I pulled down the wrap points a little to tighten the neckline. While the neck is deep, it doesn't gape even when I'm fully bending down, so I can easily wear this to work without frightening the children :)
A better representation of the fabric colours
In addition to the low price, the dress was fully knocked together, from fabric purchase to completion within 6 hours and this included two school runs and a grocery shop! Seriously, I am a super mum! lol!

Cost:
Pattern: Vogue 1027 - used before = free
Fabric: 2.5m poly stretch from Spotlight on sale and with coupon = $5.20
Thread: from stash = free
Total: $5.20

20 comments:

  1. ... and it looks great too! Win win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress looks gorgeous on you. Sometimes the cheaper projects turn out the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great dress with change from $10. And the experience was uneventful. That's my kinda sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bargain dress but still lovely. I could see it working in winter too with some boots. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, and even more so that it was only $5.20. I am tempted to go to spotlight, but I don't think I have ever left only spending $5.20

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress at a fantastic price!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice!
    I like your style of accounting! Over the course of a year it kind of works the same as averaging, because how are you supposed to know how many times you will use it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Excellent value for a super dress. Spotlight has never seen me spend so little on fabric...might have to hunt out a bit more on that bargain table...J

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely are a super mum in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous...I love this dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous and fitting everything else in between - defo Super Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely dress, it's one of my favorites. I can't wait to make another one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is lovely. I have made Vogue 1027 before as well in a solid but I like the print better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great dress! i agree with your accounting system. after all, you cannot know in advance whether or not you will use a pattern again and how many times. so it makes more sense to count the full amount the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look so beautiful in your new dress. I think this is such a flattering pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is wow wow wow. I think this may be my favourite thing you've sewn to date. The style is SO flattering on you and you really suit colours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dress. The pattern and colours are so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love this dress - the colours, the pattern...love it! Had a look around my SL the other day to see if I could find the same fabric but couldn't see it. Bugger!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)