Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Vintage Vogue 1853: DVF wrap dress

I frequent a few too many Op Shops in my not-so-spare time. Sometimes I walk away with a zipper or buttons, but other times I score a gem, like Vogue 1853 in my size!!.
The pattern, from the late 70s or early 80s, is a typical Diane von Furstenberg design - a classic wrap dress with flared skirt.
The skirt has the perfect amount of flare and the front wrap is drafted perfectly, with no gaping. I can't believe how well this dress fits or looks, and it was so easy to pull together. Better yet, the pattern only cost 50c!
The drafted sleeves were quite gathered and bell-like. Not something I felt I could wear successfully, so I folded the pattern piece after paper fitting,  to create a fitted sleeve with a simple Renfrew style band.
All other changes were minimal. I cut a few inches off the hem and sewed a narrow hem, rather than the deep hem drafted. I also interfaced the neck binding with whisper weft to help hold the weight of the fabric and eliminate any gaping or stretching.
 
The fabric is another cheap poly knit from Spotty. I purchased it on Friday and had this made by Sunday. I think I may use my Tessuti viscose knit from the last Sydney Sewing Social to make another for winter.
 
Cost:
Pattern: Vintage Vogue 1853 Diane von Furstenberg  wrap dress from Op Shop = 50c
Fabric: 2.5m poly knit from Spotty on sale = $11
Interfacing and thread from stash
Total: $11.50

15 comments:

  1. Love the knit you used. Your dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pattern find, and lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is lovely. I love a good wrap dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love wrap dresses but they just look terrible on me(sigh) so I like to admire them on everyone else. Fantastic find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score on the pattern. I think it looks fab in this print. Can't wait to see your next version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love!!! It looks great in that print. I may have to steal that pattern off you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work with the sleeves - a huge improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great. What a fantastic pattern find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really versatile. Many will be jealous of your pattern score.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your dress constitutes a DVF original all round:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic dress, looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting to find an original DVF wrap dress pattern, your version looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great find - a coveted DVF pattern. Your dress looks fabulous ... great idea to change the sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pattern really was a find! I love a good wrap dress. I never find good patterns at thrift stores around me. They are always some early 90's cheesiness. Pretty print.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)