Sunday, January 27, 2013

Denim Thurlows

I believe the summer of trousers is now over for me. This is my last instalment in this crazy out-of-season sewing bender!
I made further modifications to the Thurlow pattern with these trousers. The main change was drafting slash pockets, which are based on Simplicity 3850. I didn't slim the outer legs as much as my last pair as I am a little worried about how the denim will pull when tight. I haven't sewn flat felled seams or anything fancy. I've just sewn these as regular trousers, but with a jeans zipper.
I also re drafted the curve of the waistband. I found my previous pairs to peak a little at the back as I don't have a standard waist or curvy lower back. To do this, I re-traced the waistband using the curve of the largest size of the pattern as a guide. I gauged this change on the height of the peak on my previous pairs. Luckily it worked a treat and I'm super pleased with the fit of this waistband. It's certainly my best yet. My welts are better again, but I think next time I'll widen them a little to just over 4 inches or so.
The denim was purchased from Tessuti during our last Sydney Sewists catch up and it was a dream to work with. It's lighter than jeans denim with a good amount of stretch. It is quite over-dyed and even though I pre washed, the bleeding on my hands was insane. I'll definitely have to wash them a few more times before I wear them to work.

Again, I'm super happy with these trousers and with three new pairs of well fitted pants in my wardrobe, I think I'll have more than enough to last the whole year.

Cost:
Pattern: Sewaholic Thurlow, used before = free
Fabric: 1.2m lightweight stretch denim from Tessuti = $27.85
Zipper: Jeans zip from Op Shop = 50c
Button & slide: 40c?
Total: $28.75

7 comments:

  1. they look great and you look very happy in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. They sound very comfy - perfect for school (in my opinion anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Thurlows and this pattern will be my go to for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady, you are a machine. Love these pants on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. I will have to get this pattern now. I just made a pair of Jeans using the Jalie pattern and I'm really happy with how they came out but I need some trousers for my wardrobe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are set for work -what noble sewing in the holidays;). They look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look great! I've been trying to decide whether to buy this pattern for ages but I think you've convinced me to. And as I am a big fan of denim I think I'll take your lead there too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)