Saturday, December 15, 2012

Simplicity 2443

I've spent a little time recently cutting out various items so that when I get time to sew I can just throw myself into it. It's funny though, once something is cut, I seem to lose the desire to sew it. I decided to make this dress even though I had 4 items already cut.
The dress, one of Cynthia Rowley's older patterns has a shaped bodice with racer back. I used a recently purchased ponte from Spotlight. I actually went to Spotlight to try to find their 'Winter' ponte from their December catalogue that was supposed to be on sale for $4 per meter. None of the sales assistants could help me locate it, nor actually knew what it was. One suggested that so long as the fibre content of any ponte was the same as the catalogue and the price point was also the same, then they must be the ones, so at $4 per meter, the fabric for this dress was quite a cost effective.
The pattern came together super easy. I was quite careful sewing the curved bodice, but just took my time and it worked first go with no unpicking. I followed Jess's advice and sewed with the bodice facing up, not the yoke, and it worked. I used a simple zig zag stitch .5mm wide on my machine to construct the dress and serged the seams on the bodice to keep it neat. There is a lot of pressing to get the seam allowances to sit in the right direction, but they worked in the end.
I cut a straight size 10 grading up at the waist and the dress fits really well. I omitted all interfacing and also left off the zipper, as you don't need it. I had to take up the shoulders a little as the dress sat far too low and added about 1/2 an inch to the bodice length so the dress sat at my natural waist. Next time I might remove about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch from the centre front, just to bring the bodice contours in a little. The only problem I had with this dress is that the midriff section stretched out a little when I attached the gathered skirt. I think I'll wash it once and then perhaps run a little elastic around it to bring it back in.

All in all, I'm very happy with this dress and it is super comfortable to wear. I have some black ponte from Spotlight too, so may make another version.

Cost:
Pattern: Simplicity 2443 - gift = free
Fabric: 2m Ponte on sale from Spotlight $8
Thread: $2.70
Total: $10.70

5 comments:

  1. The dresses turned out great. I like this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. The fit is perfect too. It's great to find a ponte style that works as good as this one does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress. I hate when you go into spotlight and the sales people don't have a clue what you are asking for

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bargain! The sales assistants at Spotlight Birkenhead Point couldn't find the $4 ponte either, but just said it must have sold out even though it was the first morning of the sale - clearly they are not as generous as yours were! I have this pattern and have been meaning to make the jacket for ages, but I'm glad to see that the dress looks lovely too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)