Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lily Linen Dress - Modified

We accidentally double booked our festive events today. Rather than run around like mad chooks trying to appease everyone, we bailed on the earlier gig, leaving me a whole morning at home with the family. My husband set about doing his jobs, like cleaning the car. The kids played and watched movies and I got to sew! Yippee! Best Sunday Ever!

I really like the Lily Linen dress pattern, especially the sleeveless variations, but the piece of Como Black Out Linen that I had was far too scant to make one. So with my 1.4m piece, I made a modified dress, mixing the Lily dress with Burda 7517.
I'm incredibly happy with this dress. It was comfortable and cool to wear today (almost 40 degrees)and I'm surprised by how little the linen creased. I was expecting to look somewhat disheveled at the end of the day, but both my sister and mum remarked on how well the fabric wore during the day.
The top of the dress is the Lily dress pattern. The bottom of the dress was shaped similarly to the Burda dress and the idea of the tucks and tie are also from the Burda dress. I think the shaping with the tucks and ties makes this dress interesting but still not overly fitted.

This is how my pattern looked to cut the fabric. I've folded in the sides and tucked up the bottom.
Mucky rug! I was too busy sewing to clean it!
The darts were created once the dress was finished up to hemming. I simply tried it on, pinched out the tucks and pinned them in place. After checking that I could still take off the dress with the tucks, I then transferred them to the inside, evened them up and sewed with the ties attached to the front. Each tuck is about 8cms long and holds approximately 5cms of fabric. Easy peasy!
Rather than use self bias to finish the top of the dress, as I wanted a smooth finish with no visible stitches, I drafted an all in one facing with black, interfaced voile. I've realised recently how rough my washing machine is with my clothes and thought an all-in-one facing would hold best. The facing was under stitched as far as I could and the shoulder edges slip stitched shut. One thing I didn't take into consideration was the seam allowance on the neckline and arms. The pattern allows for 1/4 inch, but I attached my facing with a larger seam allowance, which reduced the width of the shoulders a little. I also sewed the back neck a little deeper, just because.
Adele loves to pose too.
I'm incredibly happy with this dress. It's simple and work appropriate, but also can be dressed down. I'll certainly be making another linen dress this summer and definitely won't use anything but a good quality linen like this.

Cost:
Pattern: Lily Linen Dress download from Tessuti = $10
Pattern: Burda 7517 used before = free
Fabric: Como Black Out linen = $32.50
Thread from stash
Total: $42.50

4 comments:

  1. That's two great black dresses in a row. I really like the black sandals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good linen. It is beautiful fabric. Lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination of patterns to use your fabric. I'd forgotten that the Lily had a sleeveless option - so I might just have the right fabric for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice website aboutlinen dresses. I just finished mine and i was looking for some ideas and your website gave me some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)