Monday, November 26, 2012

Sydney Sewists Social Success!

Well what a weekend! The Sydney Sewist's Social was just awesome!

As Kristy mentioned, the conversation didn't stop from the second we walked into Tessuti. Colette was lovely and offered a nice discount to us all and I think everyone, except Jodie, may have taken her up on this offer. (Jodie did have a great excuse though. I don't think I'd be buying fabric the day after buying a house. Congrats again Jodie!). The Fabric Store was also a delight. I think I found three bolts of fabric within 60 seconds of walking in the door!

There were quite a few bloggers and non-bloggers that joined us for event. Here are the bloggers I have on my list. I think I may have missed a few - sorry! Please let me know and I'll add you on :)
Jodie - http://scaredstitchless.blogspot.com.au/
Laura - http://7passports.blogspot.com.au/
Rachel - http://thetwowindmills.wordpress.com/
Wendy - http://costumesfromashoebox.blogspot.com.au/
Sandra - http://sewing.patternreview.com/members/Dilliander
Sharon - http://petiteandsewing.blogspot.com.au/
Velosewer - http://cleverthinking99.blogspot.com.au/
Anne - www.cherrypix1.wordpress.com

Of the non-bloggers, many were members of the Stichers Guild who meet at Rhodes and Alexandria for sewing and fitting workshops.

In typical 'me' style, I didn't crack out my camera until we'd lost a few sewers - sorry! Here we are at the Clock Hotel in Surry Hills for a beverage and chat. I'm taking the photo, so no me.

I may have purchased some fabric too. I mean, I don't get to the shops often these days and really feel passionate about supporting local fabric stores...
These are three pieces from The Fabric Store and all are blouse length. The citron is linen, the spot is silk and the lace is a nylon or other similar fabric. 
At the top of this picture is a lovely lightweight denim with 3% stretch from Tessuti. It will probably become pants or clovers, not sure which yet. (I can't seem to find this fabric online)
The ikat-like grey fabric is a linen/silk from The Fabric Store. I have pre-washed it but it doesn't have much drape. I suspect this will be a shift or other fitted dress.
The dark plum/almost black fabric is a viscose stretch from Tessuti that will probably become a winter dress. I love dark plum fabric so didn't want to miss out on this even though I possibly won't sew with it for a while.
The bottom fabric is a small remnant of this stretch fabric from Tessuti. No plans for this, but probably just a tee or tank.

So there's quite a haul of fabric here. It is possible that some will be placed under the Christmas tree for Santa to give to me :)

If you missed our Sewing Social, we are planning another in February. Leith mentioned that her and Rachel are thinking about coming to Sydney for a girls weekend, so we may have some southerners join us.

There was also talk about sewing up all of our purchases before the next sewing social. Given that I purchased the most, I think I really need to get on with it!

Happy Monday! I'll be back later with a post about the dress I wore.

9 comments:

  1. What a fun sounding day. Love your fabric haul. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I hope to be sewy enough to join you all. What a lovely group. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was indeed a fun day, thanks for organising it Cristy :) you purchased some lovely fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Christy, I can't edit my comment above and see there is a typo in your name... maybe you can correct it for me? Thanks again for a lovely day on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great afternoon too and I'll link to your post, if that's ok.
    You both did a great job getting us together on the day. It was heaps of fun. And I learnt a new term with the aztec like fabric you bought. Great purchases by the way and I love what you did with the dress you wore too. I'll be more organised with my outfit next time we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for organising! Really enjoyed meeting everyone! Sorry I couldn't stay for the shopping debrief at The Clock....next time!

    PS my blog is www.cherrypix1.wordpress.com

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great day and so lovely to meet you and the others. Thank you for organising and looking forward to February. Loved your dress and you purchased some gorgeous pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. was lovely meeting you and thanks for the great idea of organizing a get together!
    My blog is studiotherese.blogspot.com
    Cheers!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for organising it :) I'm lookinf forward to February & hope to be both better dressed (something new hopefully) and not having to bail early cos of health

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)