Thursday, October 4, 2012

Stepping away from the dress pattern....

Seriously, I am stepping away from the Darling Ranges dress pattern after this! I think four versions is enough for now :)
 This dress didn't photograph too well this morning. Too sunny and lovely in Sydney!
I removed a few inches of fullness from the skirt this time. I was worried about the lighter colour of the dress looking a little juvenile with a full skirt.
Can you spot that slightly mis-matched button! doh!
I lined the skirt to deal with fabric sheerness and underlined the bodice so the colours remained consistent. As with previous versions the front placket isn't functional.

The fabric is a Japanese lawn from Spotlight. I headed there yesterday to buy fabric for my mother in law and couldn't resist this. It reminds me of Liberty Small Susanna, but in a much more mature and wearable colourway.

Not surprisingly, I have a matching yellow belt and peep toe shoe combination that works marvellously with this fabric. I just need a necklace now. Maybe in the magenta/violet colour.

Dress cost:
Pattern: Darling Ranges dress, used before = FREE
Fabric: 2m Japanese lawn from Spotlight = $19.90
Lining: 1m cotton batiste from Spotlight = $4.95
Buttons: from Op Shop = $1 (yes, I get a lot of buttons from the Op Shop. I stash them when I see nice ones. I think a factory might supply my local Op Shop)
Total = $25.85

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. It looks great with the belt - I think a bright necklace would look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Love the fabric, I've banned myself from Spotlight til I work through some of my stash, but hmmmm... maybe I need to take a little trip and check out those Japanese lawns :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress. Looks so cute with the yellow belt. Some of the Japanese lawns are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)