Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spring Darling Ranges

Have you ever loved a fabric so much that you've gone back and purchased it again? This Liberty tana lawn from Anne Tyrrell (I've linked to a similar one, the navy appears to be sold out) is one of those fabrics.
I used it originally to make this frock, but wanted something a bit more 'every day' with my second piece. The Darling Ranges dress seemed like the best choice. I love the neck line and there is just the right amount of fullness in this skirt for work.
I haven't lined the skirt, so will need to wear a half slip for school, but I do that for all my Liberty dresses.
I still have to sew two more buttons to the waist area.
As with my previous Darling Ranges dress, the front placket isn't functional. I've sewn the buttons through both layers to hold them in place. Only one button above and below the waist seam are functional. As I've run elastic around the  back of the dress, I only need to use these two buttons to get the dress on and off. I don't see the point of wasting time and energy creating a fully functioning placket if I don't need it and this looks slightly neater, I think.
 
As you can see I didn't add the sleeves. This dress is for Spring/Summer, so I definitely won't need them. I also slightly trimmed the armscye around the top and back of the shoulders, as I didn't need it to be as full as I do with set sleeves.
 
I think this is my new favourite dress. I also think the fabric is entirely fashionable at the moment as the flowers have a hint of neon in them. Just enough for me to feel cool, but not too much to make it too neon.
 
Details:
Pattern: Darling Ranges Dress with no sleeves - pattern used before = free
Fabric: Liberty from Shaukat 1.3m = $30? inc part shipping
Buttons: from Op-Shop = $2
Thread: $2.60
Total = $34.60

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress. So springy. Gorgeous fabric choice... as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just right for our coming summer weather...colouring and style looks super on you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I've made a muslin of this bodice but it's not good. Did you alter yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have the best choice in fabrics! Again , a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty dress. I have to say I haven't ever bought the exact fabric again, just the same kind of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Envy.....It looks great as a sleeveless option. Do you buy your liberty over the Internet? How tempting...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)