Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Big Plans

Like many sewists, I plan big. I'm realistic enough to realise that not everything will work or be started and finished, but still, having many plans allows me to choose what I feel like sewing, rather than feeling forced to start something that I'm just not that 'in' to.

Below I've outlined some plans for my Spring/Summer wardrobe. I wish I had one of those colour plans, but really I'm not that organised. Most of these items are styles that I like and colours that I'm comfortable wearing and that's the most important part.

Simplicity 1801 made with silk chiffon and navy silk/cotton voile from The fabric Store. Both of these pieces were purchased on sale over the past year. I'm contemplating adding very thin, flat fold piping to the shoulder seam and midriff of this pattern, but am worried about the look. What do you think? I've pinned a small piece of piping to the fabric, do you think it's OK?
The fabric is darker than pictured and the red does match. I've never sewn with silk chiffon and have spent a bit of time researching the best way to do so. This fabric doesn't appear to fray too much and I've run a swatch through the overlocker and sewing machine and it appears to sew nicely. I'm contemplating underlining the dress, rather than lining the dress (the pattern is not lined). I'd appreciate opinions about this if you are knowledgeable with underlining or lining chiffon.

Freddie Vest - Fabric and pattern on hand, just need to make.
Burda 3/2012-106 - I have a piece of this crazy orange, houndstooth-like, poly stretch fabric for the top of this dress and want to get some black jersey for the bottom.
I felt incredibly inspired to make this dress when I flicked through this issue of the magazine at the library. It reminds me of the dress on this album cover, which I think might be a Gorman dress. At least I think it was.
Colette Clovers - black/grey fabric from The Fabric Store.

Simplicity 2215 skirt in pink/coral rayon twill.

Summer PJs made with cotton jersey, voile and Liberty

Tiny pocket tank with border print voile from Spotlight

Roxanne top, by Victory Patterns, with pleated collar made with poly satin from The Fabric Store. The colour isn't right in this picture, it's much darker.
 

Vogue 1306 variation with stretch mesh from The Remnant Warehouse.

Lace tank - pattern to be determined.

So yeah, lots of ideas and this doesn't include some of the patterns that I happened to purchase at the Vogue sale...

I've ordered my plans in priority and have almost everything to make all items on this list. Only one more work day until holidays!! Look out!!!

9 comments:

  1. Great plans. I have some of that lace, courtesy of Steph at 3HoursPast. I'm excited to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plans! I love seeing other people's seasonal plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of wonderful plans! I like the idea of the flat piping, by the way. Adds that little bit "extra".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plans! My favourite is that Missy Higgins knock-off dress. I love that crazy fabric and it will look so perfect with a black jersey. Can't wait to see that one. I also love that cotton jersey you are going to sew PJs from - where did you get that?

    I'm sorry I can't help with any advice about sewing chiffon. I've only done it once and it was a very simple style. I like the look of the piping, though. I would just do some samples to make sure it wouldn't be too tricky to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your plans. I am looking forward to seeing them made up. My next project is a lace tank (same lace too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, that border print and that lace at the bottom are gorgeous! As is all the other fabric options, of course. I'm planning to get started on the Freddie vest this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of great garments to be made on your list. I can't wait to see them when they are finished. Happy sewing in your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited!! Lovely fabrics and plans. I love a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh such beauties you've got there! I had almost the exact same thing in mind with the coral skirt, I have the same pattern but never tried it yet. Have to get planning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)