Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ballerina dress

Every girl needs a 'ballerina' dress, and I like them even better when they cost almost nothing to make.
One of the ladies at my mum's quilting group gave this cotton eyelet to me via mum. I have another piece in white. She also gave me this pattern, along with a bunch of other vintage kids sewing patterns, so this dress has been made for almost nothing.
This dress was made with McCalls 3648 from 1988. It's a simple drop waist dress with a gathered skirt.  I used an invisible zipper at the back as I had one in my stash that I didn't need to my first Alma top. As the fabric is sheer,  fully lined the dress in a scrap of white cotton batiste, even using the selvage for the lining hem - cheating, but fast.
She loves it and I do too. Just a simple, sweet, girly summer dress and look at that scalloped hem!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet...I love eyelet!
    I'm enjoying your posts this week as I have little ones too. I've been very selfish this year, mostly sewing for myself, so you are giving me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adele's new clothes are lovely. She is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You WERE productive - what a lucky little girl; such a special, unique new wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)