Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fabric Binge

A friend of mine has a very clever husband. He's figured out the fabric buying code. I've thought long and hard about his fabric theory and I must admit, it's true for me.

It's all about threes. When you go to a fabric shop, you never buy one piece of fabric. You buy three. Occasionally more. I always buy with the best intentions to make it up straight away, a mini wardrobe, a pretty dress or some more, less exciting, essentials.

Then I go home. I wash, dry and fold my fabric. Then I make one item. It's makes me happy.

Three pieces in. One item out.

Recently, I've realised the piles of fabric I have scattered over my sewing space will no longer fit into my stash cupboard. A fabric diet is the only solution to this problem...

Last weeks trip to Melbourne has set my stash level over the edge. I was very restrained, especially when compared to the two Rachels and Leith,  but still a diet is in order. The haul is shown below, because I know you want to see :)
Remnant from The Fabric Store. 2 meters of lovely powdery, duck egg blue linen for just $20. I had trouble parting with  my dollars at The Fabric Store in Melbourne due to buying three pieces of fabric the week before at their 50% off sale in Sydney. I plan to make a linen blazer with this piece, similar to this Boden one. Hopefully it will happen in time for summer.
I picked up my Marc Jacobs wool coating from The Fabric Store in Melbourne and it is so, so, so lovely! It is destined to become another New York Cape, but Sydney's changing weather makes me think that it may not happen until next year.

The black and white spotted wool coating was from Rathdowne Remnants. All winter fabrics were 30% off, so this 1.8 meters was just $30 - bargain! Probably won't get made up until next winter though.
From Tessuti, I also jumped on the Freddie Vest bandwagon. Purchasing the pattern and a few odds and ends to make up a vest. I plan to use mostly stash fabric for the vest, but picked up that copper fabric for the lining and double faced linen maybe for the front, but the colour of the linen is so rich that I'm temped to make it into a simple tank... will think more about this.

I also picked up a little more wool binding while at Tessuti, for a future cape. That stuff is so expensive, but I do like the look.

So yes, very retrained fabric purchasing, but this should be enough to keep me occupied for a few months.

So tell me - Are your fabric buying habits similar to mine? Do you often binge? Do you operate under the rule of threes - three pieces in, one garment out?


In other news - I've now signed a contract to work 4 days a week until the end of the school year. I'm so excited, that after over 10 weeks of full time work (which has been kiling me!) to have a day at home with the kids each week. Hopefully this will mean a little more sewing will take place!

13 comments:

  1. Love your new fabrics, and yes, I am a '3-in-1-out' type of sewer! And I am jealous of your 4 day teaching contract - what Year level is it on???...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, I'm on ESL at a local primary school. Which I am very happy about. Cheers Christy

      Delete
  2. Drool. I do love a good fabric haul! I often buy in two's for some reason. I've also tried to set myself the goal of not buying any more fabric until the end of the year, excepting for a wedding guest dress which I've yet to make.
    My thought is that if you allow yourself some leeway... (aka, hope) then I've got more of a chance of sticking to my blasted promise in the first place.
    I was the enabler for Rachel to buy some of that copper fabric... for her freddie vest too! It really is a bit special!
    Great news about the working situation too... enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous new fabrics! I'm going to Melbourne soon and I'm already dreaming of new fabric... and I really don't need ANY more; ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're going to the fabric store on Brunswick store, make sure you go to clear it next door, at the top of the stairs is alannah hill fabric. Can be hit or miss but I've bought some stellar fabric for $4 a metre

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting theory. I also find you can't just browse at a fabric store. You have to buy at least something.

    Lovely additions to the stash. My stash is out of control at the moment, but lacking in some fabric for the kids (who probably need new clothes more than I do). My husband asked if I needed him to make some more shelves but I just said I need to actually sew and use it up to make room.

    Congrats on the contract too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabric choices!
    a couple months ago i went to Spotlight and bought six pieces of fabric with something particular in mind and I've only sewn one thing. not good. i don't have a huge stash but i do need to sew more before buying more.
    i also find good fabric from op shops for the kids clothes mostly..so because its cheap i don't stop myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS : the Boden blazer is awesome ...love their stuff .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to join you on that fabric diet - with no time to sew I've been purchasing fabric all over the place. Great plans for your latest purchases, I'm looking forward to sewing them made up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bingeing? This sounds like restraint, thrift and careful planning to me! It's very sensible to buy good fabric when available...even if you do have to pop it away for a rainy day... I have a rational, reasonable and arguable reason at the ready for any crafty purchase -which is why I have had to clear out another cupboard for my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, your Freddie vest fabrics look very familiar?! I think I tend to buy in 5's or 10's. I don't get to the fabric stores without children very often so I buy up big. And if I shop online I have been known to buy 10m of denim... I am on a fabric ban until mid-sept but i broke it at the meet up so it has been extended...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent additions to the fabric collection, and your planning sounds very practical.
    I am a little distracted by my wool fabric stash at present, I had huge plans to sew it all up by the end of winter, and there is a lot of citrus blossum around here at the moment, so I have missed the boat- possibly due to too much fabric baggage weighing me down;). How else would my plans exceed the time available? I will join you on that fabric diet, seeing that I bought 5 pieces of fabric on line yesterday - better or worse than 10? No wool though! I am aiming for a balanced stash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lovely fabric I won in your give away arrived today, with bonus fabrics! Awesome! I won't be sewing them immediately because I am leaving on Saturday for a month away- Singapore, New York, and Nova Scotia. I probably won't buy any fabric in Nova Scotia, but it doesn't look promising for a fabric diet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)