Monday, August 27, 2012

Alma Blouse

When I first saw the new Sewaholic Alma pattern, I knew it was for me and I am not disappointed.
I love the neckline and the shaped hem. The darts and waist tie give the appearance of a peplum blouse, without being one and I think the style works particularly well with skinnies or slim pants.

I made view A with the regular set sleeves, not the gathered ones and trimmed them to cap sleeve length. I've realised that I generally don't feel comfortable wearing gathered sleeves.
I made a straight size 6, grading up two sizes at the waist and it fits almost perfectly. I think I also added an inch to the length. I didn't add the side zipper as I didn't need it. I guess one of the benefits of being 'straight up and down', is that it's easy to pull most things on. The only change I'll make to my next version is to slightly raise the bust dart, but I should have done this from the outset as it is a standard alteration for me.

The fabric is a cotton voile from The Fabric Store. I purchased this on the school holidays as I didn't think that I would have any work booked for term 3. But as usual, whenever I buy fabric for lazy days off work, I get booked for a block. I shouldn't complain though.

I paid full price for this pattern, but am particularly in love with it and know that I'll make it again.

Pattern: Sewaholic Alma $23 inc shipping
Fabric: 1.2m cotton voile from The Fabric Store $24
Thread from stash.
Total: $47

For the record. When I purchased this fabric, I purchased three pieces :) I made my New York cape with one, this with the second and only have a third piece of fabric maturing my stash... I'm feelin' pretty good!

Happy Monday!

13 comments:

  1. That's really pretty and it looks wonderful on you. I intend to do the exact same alteration with the sleeve as I'm also uncomfortable with gathered sleeves, so it's great to see how well it's turned out. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! This pattern is very you. You'll have to make a few more to convince me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I have been eyeing off this pattern and I think you've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the best version i've seen!!! i love the neckline you used here and that fabric is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 outa 3? Pretty darn good I'd say! This pattern is really flattering on you and I'm in agreeance with the previous four comments. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I made the blouse last week. I was freaked out by the gathers but put a tuck in the hem of the cap sleeve - worked beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep seeing lovely versions of this pattern - perhaps I need it too!!
    Love your version - it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely. Great choice on the sleeve length - I think this will be great for warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! so pretty. im working on the peter pan collar Alma at the moment ...i think its too tight to get over my head yikes ... I'll have to do view A next ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I actually just received my own Alma pattern (and the Cambie) yesterday in the post. Pleasant surprise to see it here. Suits you perfectly. I'm hoping to make the collared version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it - it is so you. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)