Friday, July 27, 2012

Working full-time: Things I've learnt.

I have now finished my 7th week of working full time and I've noticed a lot of changes in our life.  Some were obviously going to happen, others less so...

When you work full-time you sew less. Yes really. Didn't you know? At the end of a day of work, even an easy day plus the kid/home stuff, it is near impossible to sit at my sewing machine. It's just too hard. I can't even manage to crochet, knit or cut. I just play on the computer, reading about other people's sewing adventures and watch TV.

When you work full-time (for me) your house is cleaner. You and the kids aren't there to trash the joint, but also, your free moments are too short to start a sewing activity, so you just set about with a small tidy-task. '10 minutes till the kiddo's bus arrives. Clean the breakfast dishes.' '8 minutes till you have to collect the young ones. Pick up Lego.' I'm also finding that to prevent Saturday from being a massive clean up day, I'm doing a small chore each day. Just one load of laundry or something similar, helps make Saturday a little more fun.

When you work full-time, you have more money, but you don't have time to spend it. Shopping online is fine, but when your passion is sewing clothes, not buying clothes and your sewing time is next to nil, there comes a  point when you can't justify buying fabric and patterns.... Thankfully, my holiday sewing binge is still fresh in my mind...
When you work full-time, you eat a little healthier. I make the kids relatively simple lunches - sandwich, fruit, yogurt and a bikkie or two. When I have the day at home, I  sometimes substitute breakfast for coffee, and mostly skip lunch for a few afternoon handfuls of Doritos or sweet bikkies. When you work, especially in a role with set eating times, you need breakfast. You also need to eat lunch. For me it's the same simple lunch as the kids.

Working full time is good. Well, right now it is and I'm enjoying it, but I'm looking forward to having a little more weekday time with the kids.
Tell me, how do you manage work and hobbies? Are there any hidden benefits that you find to working?
The obligatory blog pic.
This is my two week old nephew William. Did I give him anything handmade to celebrate his arrival??? Nope. I was too busy. I bought him something.

Please excuse the rambling post. I have two almost finished items that I will hopefully knock over this week for 'Show and Tell' with you next week.

Happy Sewing!

Note: Working full-time is still hard. I'm not just cruising through. I don't want you to think this is a 'how good am I?' post. My kids still have tantrums and meltdowns. In fact we only have nuclear meltdowns in this house now. Wine and coffee are still essential food groups in my diet. Got it? Good.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're finding some balance - it must be a big change though. Is this a permanent full-time job, or just for a little while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. I work at home full time and I can relate but I tend to trash my house. Also, since my one child is grown I find myself sewing into the deep night, thereby making me groggy in the morning. It's so hard to find that balance. I think that I've substitute house cleaning for sewing but with three little ones at home, you could never do that! Yikes! Good luck continuing to find your stride with sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I worked fulltime and my girls were toddlers, my sewing was pretty non-existent. When they reached middle school it picked up quite a bit as I had also begun to sew for others. I even got them involved with the cut out patterns. Now that they are grown and out of the house, even though I work full time I find the time to sew almost everyday! Especially with my new Sewing Center! http://www.dressed2atee.blogspot.com/2012/05/sewing-center-update.html I could just live there. I have to force myself to get up and go upstairs to bed sometimes. My husband sometimes hollers down the steps "How long you gonna be down there tonight!"--that's when I know I need to take a break and spend some quality time with him. He's got stuff to do this weekend, so I plan to be in my sewing room a lot! My GDs also enjoy spending time in my new Sewing Center.

    Enjoyed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could've written this (not as well of course!). I work fulltime too although my kids are older than yours so more independent. And He who Cooks works from home, and is a Domestic God as well as Super Chef. I am very lucky!

    I still don't feel I have enough time to sew or to shop (and like you, don't want to buy RTW), so everyone gets heartily sick of my wardrobe by the end of the season. Oh well, perhaps thats a sustainable practice..

    I really like the idea of sewing 30 minutes a day, but I don't think I've done it more than twice during the working week.

    But, I'm not complaining! Its good to have plenty of ideas and lots of interesting things to do.

    Those kids are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work part-time (3 days) and then have 4 days at home with the boys. I did a stint of 4 days for a few months and it nearly broke me!! I was still trying to sew and blog and cook and bake and garden. The money was great and I found I bought a LOT of fabric and patterns in that time but the actual sewing wasn't happening. I really like 3 days, it works for me. I take my hat off to mums who work full time and those that parent full time. I couldn't do either!!

    I get most of my sewing done at night and during the day on my days at home with the boys. Not much on weekends. My husband travels, so it keeps me occupied at night when he's away or working at night at home.

    I'm so glad you're enjoying the work. And your sewing output is truly amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work part time (3 days)and found that balance wise it works for me. While neither the working or staying at home are a walk in the park, at least I am able to approach each part of my life as a fresh change from what I was doing the day before. I love being able to finish a hot cup of coffee while talking to adults and I adore spending a hour in the park just pushing the swings. Each side has it's positives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've worked full time for the past 7 years. I've always been a knitter and can do this most evenings watching the telly. I took up sewing this year and for a few months I was sewing nearly all day every Saturday. I can't sew at night and am having a break from it at the moment(probably did a bit of overkill sewing every Sat for 5 months) and am just enjoying other things on weekends such as going to the gym and getting fit.

    I would like to go part time when my youngest finishes high school...only 3 1/2 years to go (and counting).

    The biggest lesson I'm still learning is not to put pressure on myself to do everything!

    Enjoy your little ones...they grow up so fast....I should know as I have my first grandson arriving very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)