Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vogue 1027

I'm slowly coming to the party with stretch sewing. Even though it's fast and easy to fit, it is still a little scary and somewhat tricky to get a super nice finish.
This dress though, was a cinch. Super easy, relatively fast and the dress is drafted to give a nice, neat finish.
Even though Vogue 1027 is recommended for two way stretch knits only, I used a one way knit. This super lightweight ponte was purchased from The Remnant Warehouse a few weeks ago. This fabric is so light and drapey, but still stable, and was lovely to work with. It cost $28 for a 2.8 meter piece and to make this fabric eating dress, I used almost all of it.
I cut a straight size 10 for this dress as I was a little concerned about the fit around my waist. The top half is a wee bit large, but certainly looks OK. I think I might size down the top next time. The dress has great bust coverage which was something I was concerned about as I intended to wear this to work and didn't want to show any cleavage (not much to show - he he) in the classroom - ewww!
The only changes made to the pattern was to cut four or so inches from the hem, omit the waist elastic and I cut the skirt pieces on the grain, as I was concerned the one way stretch would sag un-evenly when cut on the bias.

I'm very happy with this frock and can now understand why this pattern was so highly rated on Pattern Review (best in 2008). The picture above show how I wore it yesterday to work, with a warmer coat over for lunch duty.

Fingers crossed I get to squeeze in a few moment sewing on the weekend. I can't believe I'm dreaming about the weekend and it's only Tuesday!

Cost:
Pattern: Vogue 1027 inc part shipping $9
Fabric: Ponte from The Remnant Warehouse $28
Total: $37

5 comments:

  1. Lovely dress on you. I have this pattern in my stash from a sale, must dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Makes me want to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really flattering style on you. It looks so comfortable to wear too! Bring on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit slow in coming to the stretch-sewing party as well. Knits scare me. They're so unpredictable and hard to finish well. Your dress looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress!! Gorgeous on you. I have had the pattern for years but never seem to get enough of any fabric to make it... it takes so much fabric!! :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)