Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quilty

While I haven't been sewing as much as usual, I have been spending some time in my sewing room cleaning up and sorting. My fabric scraps have been growing at a shocking rate and needed to be tamed. Some of my scraps were from years ago and despite many sewing clean ups, I still couldn't bear to part with them, even though I had no real use for them.

So after bravely pulling together a massive IKEA bag (one of the big blue bags!) of scraps for my sister, I starting cutting all remaining small scraps into 2.5 inch squares.
So far I have half a box of them. One day it will become a postage stamp quilt, but probably not for a while.

I feel better that I will be able to make use of these scraps and they won't go to waste.

How do you manage your fabric scraps?

7 comments:

  1. I am attached to my scraps. It seems no matter how small they are i have trouble throwing them out. They are being stored in boxes at the moment and one day I will make a quilt out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one really massive wicker basket for my scraps and a bag of smaller stuff sitting ready for cutting into a postage sized squares for a quilt....your solution looks a lot more elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is serious organisation!! I send all my scraps to childcare. It is weird walking in there matching one of the cushions or artwork...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is scary organisation! I have some ancient scraps that might be a a quilt one day but they are certainly not cut into squares already. How about scrumpled into a bag in the top of the most inaccessable cupboard? Not your style I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeepers that looks organised! I do like the idea of cutting a batch of squares every so often rather than trying to stuff the scraps into the scrap box that won't close anymore. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I hate clutter and hoarding so I don't save much. I have one box with larger pieces that might be useful for smaller projects such as preschooler skirts, purses etc. but the rest I donate to preschool or a local charity that accepts fabric. I do admire people's fabric collections from a far though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't manage my scraps at all sadly. I don't quilt, yet I can't bear to throw away any small but useable piece of fabric, so I have bags and bags of scraps kept for no apparent reason!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)