Saturday, March 17, 2012

Project Fail. Vogue 1247

Sometimes fabric on the discount table at Spotlight should stay there. Sometimes fabric that costs $1.50 per meter, isn't even worth that.  Sometimes, when a project is going so, so wrong, you shouldn't even bother finishing it.

I blame this project failure 80% on the fabric and 20% on my sewing.

I cut this pattern about two days before I sewed it. The fabric is a mystery polyester crepe fabric. It's drapey and opaque and kinda weighty. As soon as I moved the pieces, most of them warped out of shape. I'm not sure if I cut them off grain, I don't think I did, but the fabric moved in all sorts of weird ways.
When sewing the fabric continued to behave in an odd manner and as it was  polyester, it didn't respond to a good pressing. The construction of the top was relatively easy though, and the french seams meant I didn't need to change the thread on my overlocker - always a good thing! I didn't succeed in matching the centre seams very well, but I already knew the project was a failure at this point, so didn't bother trying very hard. I also haven't clipped the threads, that's how bad a fail this baby is!

This pattern won't get the better of me though. I will try again and I'm confident it will work.

Hope you manage to steal some moments in front of your machine this weekend.

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Oh shame! Thanks for the tips about this one, I'll know not to go for anything too slippery. It still looks nice from back here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)