Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oink! Oink!

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but take this Burda hog!!

I headed to my local library today and found almost every copy of Burda magazine since 2008, including two 2012 issues! Woot woo!

I'm not sure if I can claim responsibility for this surprise. Does my local Burda hog read my blog or have they just gone on holidays? I'm not sure. Despite my dislike for their pattern hogging, I couldn't help borrowing six issues myself. I think I'm going to have a busy week tracing!

Many readers asked which library I go to for Burda, but look, I'm not going to tell you that information am I? *sorry* It's hard enough getting the good issues without y'all starting to hog too! What I will tell you though, is that most local libraries, in Sydney anyway, have online catalogues, so you can check if a library stocks the magazine before you leave home. I'm pretty sure you don't have to live in area to borrow from a library, so you might find that it's only a short drive and to get your hands on a few free patterns.

To Carolyn - yes, I can reserve issues of Burda if they are currently out on loan, however, this incurs a $1 fee. I know it's only $1, but if I'm not 110% certain that I'm going to sew a particular item, it seems like a waste of money just to look at a magazine. How much of a tightwad do I sound like right now??

On a different note, have you seem that I am the featured seamstress on the Colette blog?? So excited! Can you believe my brother in law call my meringue skirt, a Wilma skirt, as in Wilma Flintstone! Seriously, he has no idea!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a chance to win one of three Seam Allowance Guide sets.

9 comments:

  1. OMG How good is that???!!!!! U lucky ducky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i'm not the hog anyway as i checked my library catalogue and there are no burda mags in it. i only ever go to the rockdale council libraries.
    you got a good haul though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live in Brissie, so not your hog....but up here we can only borrow out 2 issues on the same topic. But sadly, have been know to resorting to 'making' my teenage son borrow out copies for me!!! I end up spending a whole weekend copying out patterns, all with good intentions, until the next magazine comes out...
    ... congratulation on the feature seamstress, very well deserved:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm completely flabbergasted that they charge for reservations! What the?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No luck at my local library. And unfortunately in any Sydney library I've been in (and I've lived a few places in Sydney!) not one will allow out of area residents to borrow - you gotta present evidence to support a local council address. Maybe I'll have to lobby my local??

    ReplyDelete
  6. No in Sydney you can join any library I know because the one I use is not in my local area, it is not even one that my local will transfer to. I like it because it is cleaner, has a coffee shop and is near my work. I could be your burda hog!!!!!! Lol No I am not, I have never thought to look for burda magazines but watch out I will be hot on the burda trail now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No in Sydney you can join any library I know because the one I use is not in my local area, it is not even one that my local will transfer to. I like it because it is cleaner, has a coffee shop and is near my work. I could be your burda hog!!!!!! Lol No I am not, I have never thought to look for burda magazines but watch out I will be hot on the burda trail now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped buying Burda a year ago when i realized I almost never sew anything from it and I am more interested/inspired by patterns I make up myself. However, Burda is an addiction and I have found a way to cope with it. Borrowing from the library, as you do.

    One month is more than enough to decide if you're going to sew anything from the magazine or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my local library here in Florida, USA we don't have any sewing or crafts magazines....I'm curious: how are the pattern pages? I can't imagine how the borrowers take good care of them. Congratulations on the feature Colette seamstress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)