Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Clever Gadget and Burda 09/2011 #128

Now that this teaching gig is eating  into my free time, I'm all for a clever gadget that makes sewing a little easier and faster. Ever since I found out that my local library stocked Burda magazines, I've been stalking their collection, mulling over each issue and trying to fit more of these patterns into my sewing schedule. The only problem with the ol' Burda mag, as we know, is that you have to trace and add your seam allowance, which I really don't enjoy (total understatement!).

(While I'm talking about my local library, I need to insert a bit of a whinge. There seems to be a few lovers of Burda magazine in my area, which is fine, except for the one borrower (a Burda Hog, no less) that picks up 8 or so issues and borrows them all, then renews them! This is within the library rules, but I don't think it's very fair to the rest of the sewers in the area. If this borrower is reading this post, it's time to share my friend! I know you cannot use all of those issues for that period of time. Be fair and only borrow what you need, not every summer issue available for a two or three week period! Now that's off my chest, back to the real sewing).

This is my new blouse - Burda 09/2011 #128.
Cute right?
I love the colour and I love how simple it was to make. A perfect project for a time poor sewist.
The fabric is a cotton sateen from Spotlight that has been maturing in my stash for well over a year. I used self covered buttons that I picked up from the Op Shop for 20c or so. The pleat at the neckline is a little over-pressed in this image, but I think it will relax after a wash.

So, what's this clever gadget you ask?

A new Seam Allowance Guide!

So simple to use. Just trace the pattern as per the pattern sheet, with no seam allowance, then add this clever magnetic contraption to your scissors and cut your fabric.
 Whoooosh! So fast!! I love it!

Now, I'm going to head back to the library to check if the Burda Hog has returned any winter issues yet.

Happy sewing all!

Blouse cost:
Pattern: Burda 09/2011 #128. Free - from the Library
Fabric: Cotton Sateen from Spotlight (ages ago) approx $20
Buttons: 20c
Thread: $2.80
Total: $23

14 comments:

  1. cute blouse and clever gadget! Wish my local library carried Burda mags.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shirt and the pleats! The gadget is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gadget. I knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks for pointing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your new top is very cute, i love the polka dots!!
    which library do you go to....i think we may be in a similar area. i go to rockdale but have never seen any burda mags there. so i'm not the hog hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might be in the same area too, but there are definitely no Burda Magazines at mine! Lucky you! Great top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. isn't it brilliant! I love that little gadget! use it all the time. really like your blouse. do the library mags have the patterns in them to trace also? I'll have to check my library. great idea! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This must be the week for this pattern. I've seen a couple more versions this week and now I'm definitely sold on this pattern. Hope it works with bias stripes. Might have to get me one of those do-hickys too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely top!
    If your local library follows the same rules as ours (hopefully) then if you reserve the items you want at the desk then the current borrower will not be able to renew, but will have to return them by the due date. Then the next person on the list can borrow. This is how our local system words and I hope this is how it is for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for gadgets! I've seen that one before, I'm trialling a double tracing wheel gadget at the moment, really only good for tracing though so maybe not the best option.

    I gave up on Burda at my library for the same reason. The only ones left are from 2008 which dont float my boat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm off to check out if my local library stocks burda... Love the seam allowance gadget and the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky you are that your library subscribes to Burda! I hope the Burda hog eases their grip!

    Beautiful blouse - and I love the seam allowance guide!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!! I have this pattern - I think it just jumped to the top of the must-sew list. That color is so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG thank you for telling me about this - I've just bought one! I loathe having to add seam allowances. I love your blouse too, it looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just bought 3 of them! LOL I know I will misplace them along the way so I'm planning ahead. Gorgeous shirt, and I'm so much more excited about these Japanese patterns I love to hate now!! Thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)