Monday, February 6, 2012

A few fizzers

While sometimes the whole sewing thing can produce hugely successful garments, like my recent red ruffle dress, which is definitely one of the best things I've sewn. It can also produce a huge number of fizzers or wadders. I've had a few recently. They are haunting me. I'm hoping by writing about them, by coming clean to my lovely readers, that I can gain some closure on these fails and pop them in the bin, to be forgotten about forever. Hopefully then, I'll be inspired to get back to my machine and create again.

Vintage Vogue 8728
I didn't want my first fail at this pattern to get the better of me, but my second attempt also hasn't made me happy. I made a SBA by cutting the smallest size available in the envelop, then removing about an inch from the top centre of the bodice, as there was no way my bust was going to fill this part of the dress. These modifications worked successfully, but now I realise that the style itself isn't me. I love the picture, I love the design, I love it on other people, but I know that it's not me. The fabric is also a little scratchy. Maybe it has some ramie in the blend. I'm not going to cry over this one. It needs to be binned.

Self drafted pattern with expensive silk
I'm not going to lie. I did cry when this one failed. I was clearly being way to ambitious with this garment. I intended to make a princess seam blouse with a neck ruffle, but it wasn't meant to be. Live and learn. I need to get these scraps out of my sewing space so this memory stops haunting me!

These next two are from last year, but just so I can finally get rid of them from my sewing space, here they are.

New Look 6697
The fabric was a little tricky to work with and it has been finished to an adequate standard, but the neck gapes so much that it is indecent. I could fix it, but my heart just isn't in it. To the bin, I say!

Self drafted pattern with silk cotton fabric
Unfortunately this fabric was a little pricey, so the fizzer feels even worse. While the dress itself if OK, the fabric was a little too lightweight for a dress and I should have recognised that. Again, I just need it to stop haunting me. The fabric pieces are too small to re-purpose, so I need to bin it.

So there you go, fizzers always go with success stories. Hopefully by clearing these out, I can finally get back into sewing again. I need to start something fresh. Something exciting. Something challenging. Something I'm interested in. What will it be?

I hope you are enjoying your time at the machine. Fingers crossed that I get inspired soon!

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when you work so hard at something and it just doesn't turn out the way you imagined it would... :(
    But you have so many other beautiful garments (like your red ruffle dress) that you shouldn't let these bother you.
    Onto the next project I say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. out out out I say! Move on and forget about them.

    Thanks for sharing the fact that you too have fizzers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely you can get something out of the 2 expensive pieces - groovy clutches perhaps! Let's face it, you still pay top dollar for silk shop-bought clutches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hits very close.It is very frustrating to have an amazing garment in your head and a refusal of pattern and/or fabric to co-operate. I think we have all been there, and it is not a nice place, but every wadder makes you sew better next time.
    I would keep the silk for revisiting when the pain has subsided :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! I agree with Fran, throw them out and move on. We've all had them and it's best not to dwell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you take apart the last dress and underline the silk/cotton with some cotton batiste (or something) to give it some more weight?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)