Sunday, January 8, 2012

Taffy Blouse

Another separate to shift from my 'to do' list, into my wardrobe. Pictured with my denim meringue skirt, also from the Collette Sewing Handbook. I think I've gotten my value from this book now!
I just adore this top. I was worried about how these sleeves would look when worn. I don't think my frame suits 'big' shoulders, but these sleeves aren't big at all. Even when made with a simple dobby voile, they drape nicely and aren't too overwhelming. The bias cut bodice feels just lovely to wear too.
The main modifications that I made to this pattern, was to use my serger to roll hem the sleeves or flounces. There's no point binding black fabric, as you just wouldn't see it. I also used my bias tape maker to make 3/8 inch binding which I sewed under then neck seam. To speed construction up even further, I used my serger for all seams, rather than sewing french seams as the pattern suggests.
The reason for this speedy project? I really wanted to get it done before I sent my machine in for a service *sob!* My button hole lever has been broken for a few months now and really needs to be fixed. I'm hoping to make a few shirt dresses and possibly a shirt or two for the husband, and my manual button holes are just horrible. Hopefully I'll have it back by the weekend. If not, things might be a little quiet around here this week.

Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather (in Sydney, Australia anyway - mwahahahaha!).

14 comments:

  1. Very cute! I was hoping to make this soon with a cool rayon I got.... I quite like your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really live your blouse! and thanks for the serger tips. I finally ordered the Colette book last night at 3am when I couldn't sleep, and can't wait to make the blouse. Just wish I had a serger! might see if I can wrangle one out for my birthday in March. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both the top and the skirt. I'm planning on giving both of them a try as well, and your tips about roll hemming the sleeve edges are great.
    Don't get too many withdrawals from your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some fabric (while shopping with Lara!!) to make this blouse a few weeks back and just got the book Friday. Can't wait to make this top. Love the dobby version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has turned out beautifully - looks like such a great top on you (I especially love those sleeves). Hmmm maybe I need this book too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous.
    You are making it truly difficult to resist this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled across your blog and thought that Ooohbetty should really make contact with Littlebetty!
    Lovely blog, very inspiring. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed by your productivity. I have no desire to sew at the moment.

    The Taffy looks great made up in the black dotted voile. I love wearing my taffy tops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blouse and so glad that you made it. It was the Taffy that attracted me to the book in the first place. I might just have to cave in and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your top - I received that book for Christmas and I'm looking forward to making my own Taffy blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent job you made of both ! I didn't like the Taffy from the pix in the book, but I sure do like all the versions I have seen made up on-line ! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you Taffy and Meringue, I think I am going to have to get this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the serger shortcuts and I love that black fabric. I love Collette patterns but find she makes her instructions unnecessarily complicated often. Have a nice sewing break!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your top and your skirt. They look so cute together, and the details are elegant and interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)