- slightly lowered the centre of the front neck. It makes me feel too constrained when a neckline sits above my collarbone
- shortened the dress by quite a few inches
- reduced the bust darts slightly and graded up the waist for fitting purposes
- I used a contrast fabric for the waist tie. I really think this fabric needed to be broken up a bit and if you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I'm a bit of a fan or contrast waist detail, just to try to create a waist where no waist exists. The sash was made with cotton sateen, which I found at Lincraft, but only after trawling through all the ribbon and fabric at Spotlight and Tessuti first. I think I would have preferred a grosgrain ribbon tie, but this is nice.
- I top stitched the whole bodice as I did have a bit of trouble with the facings popping out, even after under stitching. I'm happy to do this though, as it isn't terribly noticeable and it does provide a little extra wearing security in relation to the facings. I think next time I make this I'll fully line the bodice.
- I also modified the sleeves. The pattern includes quite long and fitted sleeves, which were impractical, so I slashed the sleeves of my muslin and re-cut the pattern to accommodate the extra ease. I had a few problems easing in the sleeves. I ran two rows of gathering and tried twice, but still ended up with a slightly gathered sleeve cap. I thought I was a bit of an expert at setting in sleeves, especially after all the Tova dresses I've been making, but this one got me. It looks nice though and they are even, so they now are gathered cap sleeves.