Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BurdaStyle 06/2010 #118 with modifications

I've managed to steal some moments to hide in my sewing room these last few days, thanks to the husband being home, and now I have a new summer frock. I just need some summery weather now!
This stunning white dress is based on Burda dress #118 from 06/2010, though I have modified it heavily. I'm not a big fan of maxi dresses. I wish I could wear them - do they make short people appear shorter?

Anyway, I took the princess seam bodice from this pattern, slapped on a waistband, then attached a skirt - easy right?? No - not so! The points of the bodice, where the straps are attached, were way too overwhelming for my frame, so I re shaped them as shown below, straightening the top of the bodice and removing some excess from the side.
I then removed some more excess from the centre of the bodice, which is cut on the fold. I found the pattern did not shape nicely under my bust, so I trimmed as shown below and re-straightened the bottom of the piece.
The waist band is quite straight, but I thought would help make the dress less empire or maternity - which is always a worry when I sew empire waist dresses.
The skirt is just a simple gathered rectangle, with side seam pockets. I need pockets in my life these days and hate wearing garments without them. Although I still love both of my Meringue skirts. They are just too good to hate because they don't have pockets.
The fabric is a lovely Nani Iro dobby cotton, which I purchased on sale from Matatabi quite a while ago. I just love this fabric, it has a lovely drapey, crepe-like feel. The main problem with this fabric, is that it is white, which doesn't agree with my life these days. You know, grubby kids and all. I lined the entire dress including the skirt with white voile. I trimmed the lining with lace - just because.
I think the whiteness of this dress gives it quite a juvenile feel, which is why I kept the hem quite long. I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable in it, but maybe after we go on our summer holiday it will feel more appropriate.

Hope you are enjoying a few stolen moments doing the things you love!

7 comments:

  1. A lovely fresh pretty summer dress. You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is quite lovely on you and NOT juvenile at all. Really, it's just gorgeous. And, I like the idea that you made the lining a little prettier. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say juvenile at all. Young and fresh for summer - exactly as it should be. Well done on this, it suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! The white is so fresh and summery. I have a couple of maxi dresses and I am shorter than you (I think) and I find that they don't make you look shorter, quite the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I made a similar dress, but maxi, from the black fabric the same. I just need to get some photos... I think you'll live in it once we finally get Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is one lovely dress!! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with the others - nothing juvenile about that dress! Beautifully fitted and a very pretty choice of fabric. Another super effort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)