Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Old, but new

Like many sewers, I love vintage patterns. But when does your 'stash' become more of a collection, than a resource for future projects? Do you collect or make?

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I think I am becomming a collector of sewing patterns, rathen than a maker. I hope one day to make them, but I seem to acquire patterns far faster then my current sewing output.

While some patterns have been purchase for a steal from Op shops (Thrift stores), which makes it hard to turm them down, many others have been purchased from Etsy, mostly with the bibs and bobs of bonnet pattern money that comes in.

Just incase you are interested, here are some of my latest acquisitions.
Vogue 7063 (c 1970s)
Op shop: 50c
I really love the simple style of this dress, especially the black version to the left. I have some Liberty assigned to it, but lack the time to make it - boo!

Style 3281 (early 1980s)
Op Shop: 50c
This pattern reminds me of this Miss Mozelle dress by Jamie Christina patterns, but without the 'new pattern' price tag. For some reason it also reminds me of Princess Dianna. Maybe it's the 80's vibe from the illustration.
Vogue 6804 (c 1949)
Etsy:   $14
I adore this shirt dress pattern and hope to make it one day with short sleeves, probably a little shorter than in the pattern, in a deep coloured voile. But without suitable fabric in the stash, it's yet to be attended to.

Simplicity 4390 (c 1960s)
Etsy: $6???
I love the skirt style on this pattern and imagine making a sleeveless version for summer, possibly with those godets starting a little higher. Again, no suitable fabric, or time. Hopefully I'll get to it this summer.

Style 3400 (late 70s, early 80's)
Op shop: 50c
I love the simple red frock on this envelop. Again, this is a Summer goal.

Vogue 7720 (c 1960's)
Etsy: $10
I really like this dress and have attempted to make it. Unfortunately, after checking all the measurements of the dress, which fit me, I forgot to check the placement of the waistband, which sat too high. Hopefully I'll make this successfully one day.

Etsy: 10??
I love this dress and have the fabric (Liberty Mitsi in grey), buttons and zipper to make this dress, but lack the time and a little motivation. It seems too hot to make a shirt dress.
  
Advance 6120 (1952)
Etsy: $15???
I've had this pattern in my stash since about July. I really want to make the blue version in a solid inky voile, to wear with a grey belt this summer. Unfortunatly I impulse bought a yukky fabric type and have been uninterested in making it because of that.
Vogue 6468 (c1940s)
Etsy: $15
I love this dress style so much. It has a simple darted bodice with kimono sleeves and the scalloped detail sits nicely along the shoulders and sides. I imagine making this in a solid lightweight fabric, but lack solids in my stash,  or enough matching buttons for that matter. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to tackle this wonderful pattern.
Vogue 6460 (c 1960s)
Etsy: $10
This pattern sat in my Etsy favourites for quite a while before I purchased it. I love that it's a simple shift with a little special detailing.

So, I think that's enough show and tell for today. The pattern situation in my sewing space is gettting a little ridiculous, but I just can't seem to part with any of them.

What's your favourite vintage pattern? Do you feel that you collect more than make?


11 more days to go - well I have one excursion in there too, so 10 days to go!

6 comments:

  1. Style 3281. That brings back memories.
    I made an elegant black crepe dress with a white collar from this pattern as part of my 'uniform' working in a department store while I went through Uni in the mid 80's. I got lots of compliments on that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm being honest with myself, I'd have to admit that I'm more a collector than a maker. I love to sew and I do sew, but like you, I seem to be acquring patterns way faster than I can sew them up. They're just too beautiful to pass up sometimes! My favourites are probably come laste 30s / early 40s ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am seriously jealous of your growing collection but I fear I might be in the same boat as you- collecting and not getting a chance to sew but we can always dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh oh .... another blog to add to the reader! Kelani! I've been living in London for the past 5 years and am heading home (Sydney) at the end of the year so it's v exciting to discover some amazing fabric shopping locally ... thought I would miss London terribly but I might be OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time I visited my mother I came back with all of her vintage patterns (from when she bought them to sew for herself from 50's onwards) Not sure what to do witht hem, maybe I should look to Etsy to rehome some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love the look of Simplicity 6446!

    I love old patterns, I think I collect them more than I'll ever make them...especially the really old 30's/40's ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)