Monday, October 17, 2011

Giddy-up! Simplicity 2599

I am so happy with this top!
How adorable is the fabric? I purchased it from here on Etsy. They now also have the same design in navy and pink, which I think I may purchase to make another top like this, but possibly with short sleeves. 
The pattern, Simplicity 2599, is a basic top pattern with a few different neck variations. While I do like version E, I really wanted to try create a pleated neckline similar to this Emerson Made blouse. My sister has one, similar to the link, in a lovely charcoal and white striped seersucker that I just adore.

I made a straight size 8 and the only modification was to lower the front neckline by 1 inch and to sew a few tiny tucks to the front neckline, which thankfully are hidden under the pleated strip, to prevent the front gaping. I'll have to fix this properly in future if there's nothing to hide them.
The pleated neck was made by cutting a 4.5 inch strip the full width of the fabric. I used my 1/4 inch foot to sew the long edge, turned right side out and pleated to fit. I really love that horses run two different ways around the neck.
Giddy-up!

13 comments:

  1. Cute top. The horses and ruffles and lovely details. Love the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous Christy! I have that pattern but yet to make it up. You've inspired me! It's really lovely. And we're about to have weather to suit it too! Enjoy! Oh and thank you so much for sending those patterns - you're a star! I'll trace and send back asasp. Good luck with your prac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, its so good! I have seriou sewing envy, your spring wardrobe has so many lovely styles! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! That neckline is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is FABULOUS!! I am a horse girl at heart and love a subtle horsey print. Your sewing is such an inspiration Christy to start sewing for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! Great job on the pleated neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. The pleated neckline is such a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I do like the neckline too. I have a hard time with pleats and yours look perfect ! Thanks for sharing at my link party! Ps did you ever make that dress from the pattern you won?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This top is just so amazing. That collar treatment is so perfect. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I'm totally copying you. lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty - I found your blog from Justine's link, and I love your improvised neckline! I have that Simplicity pattern and I haven't been totally happy with the options included, so I'd love to give yours a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I just saw your top on Justine's link, I really like your version of the Simplicity pattern, I may just have to buy that pattern and try something like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am a self confessed Simplicity 2599 fan & I love what you have done with this neckline - it is so clever & so pretty! PS I've found you via Sew Country Chick ... I'm really enjoying exploring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)