Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fabric binge

With a little spare time last Thursday, my mum surprised me with a shopping trip to celebrate my upcoming birthday (it's on Monday and not a special '0' birthday). Mum reads my blog, hears about my sewing adventures, listens to me whine when things don't go right, helps me when she can and generally knows me pretty darn well. So to help me pick a birthday present, she took me fabric shopping. Woo hoo!

First stop was Tessuti, the posh fabric mecca, followed by The Fabric Shop, a little less pricey and just as nice, but slightly less 'wow' factor.

My purchases from Tessuti were some lovely viscose check fabric (top left) in lovely plum and charcoal tones. I purchased this specifically to make Vogue 8028.

The fabric on the top right is a lovely, lovely, lovely Japanese cotton called Blue Hyou which I think I will make the Burda Heidi dress with, after I've modified the pattern a little. I just love the bodice of this dress that I made a few weeks ago and think a slimmer version with slash pockets would be awesome. I need to muslin the pattern though to assess those front tucks.
The fabric on the bottom right corner is super special. In fact, it's super, super, duper special and almost didn't get purchased. It's lovely Liberty Lantana (80% cotton, 20% wool) called Kenzo's Gold and it's just wonderful. Far, far nicer in real life. I love it so much that I stroked it all the way home. I certainly didn't plan to buy it, but my mum did instead. I think I will make a 3/4 sleeve tunic dress with this fabric. I was planning on making the Tova dress, but I like having the option of wearing a belt, to make it appear like I have a waist, and I'm not sure that the Tova pattern will suit a belt. Clearly there is an intense amount of pressure when working with this type of fabric but I'm determined to make something with it soon. I hate the thought of it sitting around for too long while I procrastinate.

The fabric on the bottom left is a lovely light denim from The Fabric Shop. It will be used for bonnets and probably for Village Frock for Adele.

So a very spendy, but very enjoyable day. I wish I could sew tonight, but the husband is making me go out to dinner with him to celebrate my birthday.... poor me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh lucky you birthday girl!! Have a gorgeous day tomorrow, with your sweet family & dreaming of those fabrics you'll be sewing with, after the chore of a delicious dinner out with the one you love. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Spring and fall are my too big fabric purchasing times. I love the you bought a liberty in a cotton wool blend. So different and special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)