Last Friday's wedding provided me with a great opportunity to make a frock suitable for a formal occasion. When I first saw New Look 6002, I fell in love. I was particularly sold on bodice A, the square neck one. It just looks so cute on the pattern envelop. So I purchased some satin back shantung on sale and picked some Anna Maria Horner voile left in my stash for the middle band. Luckily, before I cut the dress, silk dupion went on super sale at Spotlight, so I snapped it up to make this frock.
Pattern review to this stage: The dress came together really well, but there was a lot of playing around with the tucks on the bust to get them to sit right and not bubble. I think proper darts may have helped this. I also turned the pleats on the skirt, pointing them out rather than in as they sat better/flatter that way.
So, in the week prior to the wedding I decided I needed a new dress and looked to Simplicity 2444, which has been on my to do list for a while now. I made this dress out of a lovely, drapey poly rayon blend fabric with a subtle asterisk '*' style design on it.
I love this dress. It's comfortably and while it is a little demure, it is still stylish. Please excuse the bad photos, it's a bit gloomy in Sydney today.few reviews of this pattern noted that the top of the bodice was quite generous and as I was not making sleeves to pull this out, I made a muslin to survey the problem area. From this, I was able to pinch out the excess from this region and when I cut the garment, I re-aligned the centre fold of the bodice. This meant there was a little extra fabric toward the bottom of the bodice, but as I normally grade up the waist of dresses, it was actually helpful.
Pattern Review available here.